Alphabetized

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Search Movie

Agora (2009)

>> Monday, September 20, 2010




Plot:
A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/

My Comment:
I was really hoping that Hypathia would reconcile with Davus, unfortunately history can't be changed. This movie was good. Religion conflicts and forced faiths. At that time, science was a sensitive subject, it's as if a challenge to God. Rachel Weisz was brilliant. She could play Hypathia with such an act. Proud, strong and unafraid of what she believed. But, I must say, the plot on this movie was doubtfully, because there were a lot of version of Hypathia's life and death. And I felt this movie was lacking. But I can't find what.
Overall, it's nice to watch, great!

IMDb Rating : 7.2 / 10
My Rating : 7 / 10

Awards:

Goya Awards 2010:
Best Cinematography (Mejor Fotografía): Xavi Giménez
Best Costume Design (Mejor Diseño de Vestuario): Gabriella Pescucci
Best Make-Up and Hairstyles (Mejor Maquillaje y/o Peluquería): Jan Sewell, Suzanne Stokes-Munton
Best Production Design (Mejor Dirección Artística): Guy Dyas
Best Production Supervision (Mejor Dirección de Producción): José Luis Escolar
Best Screenplay - Original (Mejor Guión Original): Alejandro Amenábar, Mateo Gil
Best Special Effects (Mejores Efectos Especiales): Chris Reynolds, Félix Bergés



2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

I saw Agora when it first came out in NYC and loved Weisz' performance as Hypatia. Amenabar distorted some history in pursuit of his art. The Great Library didn't end as he depicted and Synesius wasn't such a jerk. However, that's what artists do. I don't go to movies for accurate history. For people who want to know more about the historical Hypatia, I highly recommend a very readable biography by Maria Dzielska called Hypatia of Alexandria (Harvard Press, 1995.) I also have a series of posts on my blog on the events and characters from the film - not a movie review, just a "reel vs. real" discussion.

Tria September 26, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

wow, thanks for the comment. I am really excited on Hypathia after watching this movie and i have tried finding some information from web resources, and i disappointed of it. Thanks for the suggestion...

Post a Comment

Visitors

Let's Rate Movies

Let's Rate Movies was based on my personal comments on movies, you can consider me as a guide on those movies

Total Pageviews

Easy Listening Vocal Jazz

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP